Canoeing Trip; a beyond expectation journey.


It was one not ordinary weekend when we drove 420 km south west of Victoria for our weekend getaway. The not ordinary part is not either a long drive or the direction we headed to, but it is what we did.

Lower Glenelg Nation Park is where Melbourne Young Hikers started their 2-day Canoeing Expedition, something different from our norm.

After 6 hours on the road, we car-camped at Pritchard campsite by the Glenelg River our canoe starting point.

Rose up and early for the big day ahead. We were all excited for the new journey on the river where hikers would finally use their upper body muscles rather our strong legs.

Not long after 10pm, Richard and all drivers came back from the car shuffle. And they were back with our boats, 3 canoes and a kayak. We then got our boats ready, got a useful and short lesson for our trip and off we went.

18.1 Kilometres downstream heading toward river mouth of the Glenelg River was what we did on our first day. We paired up for 3 canoes with Richard started solo on kayak. Paddling for the first time for many of us didn’t seem to be a problem. On top of that, we were lucky that the weather was kind enough for us so we could enjoy this journey happily. Lots of birds, ducks, different rock formations and vegetations were witnessed as we cruised along this flat water. I just wish I knew more about those varieties of this eco system to enjoy every bit of it. 6-7 Hours after launching our boats from Pritchard jetty, with few times of paddling in circle and zigzagging every now and then, we managed to arrive safely at Bowds campsite where tucked in eucalypt forest.

We all set up our tents and just relaxed by the river and some of us, of course, in the river. Richard, Nick and Vicky were keen to go for a dip and swim to the limestone cliff that is about 200 metres away from our campsite. I wasn’t game enough to dive into cold water after a long day. Yes it was cold for tropical country girl like me. But I did jump into the kayak and paddled along and companied them. Just before the last light went down, we went back to campsite, and, of course, got a campfire happening, one of my favourite things on earth. After grabbing life jackets to use as bum pads, we gathered around campfire and had a dinner in a way that I like it….. Having hot food by the campfire, under the night sky with a great company. This time was even better when most of us brought along tons of fresh food that is unusual for normal hiking trips. Here’s one good advantage of canoeing trip. You can’t ask for more! Oh how could I forget a cup of hot chocolate before bed that we all well deserved after a hard work all day?

The second day we were travelling closer to the river mouth, so we were affected by incoming tides and winds, which slow us down a bit. Thanks to Richard, he planned the trip well. We started further up stream and finished just before we reach wild tides and winds. Due to a short trip today, we could spend a lazy morning, cooking and relaxing. Nick was the winner this morning since he made pancakes topped with blueberry in syrup from Josh!!! What a gourmet meal.

First part of the last day, we only had to paddle 9.8 Kilometres to our lunch stop. As we were canoeing through the spectacular white limestone cliffs, we spotted wild animals along and in the river. And out of nowhere, Josh pointed to the middle of river and shouted SEAL! Yes a wild seal was there, swimming and playing with us. He was so adorable and playful. We all literally were amazed to see this beautiful creature right in front of us. I, myself, was overwhelmed with unexplainable feelings. I think I was so lucky to have a chance to embrace to a real nature. Without any talking, we all agreed to hang out with the seal for a while until the show was over. Then we kept going to the next stop, Princess Margaret Rose Cave where is our lunch spot. Not long after lunch, few of us took a tour to explore this beautiful cave. After this break, it was only short distance for us to canoe across the border of Victoria and South Australia where we finished our canoeing expedition at fisherman settlement, Dry creek, 3 Kilometres from the cave. It was such a joyous journey for me. I have had hard time to find words to explain this feeling. So I guess, I will leave it to you to explore the river and give me the words of your feelings.

Enjoy your journey.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About me

Only few times in my life that I actually fall in love. Photography is my first, and it always has been my true love.


I photograph everything around me when I feel like it. There is no rules; no right, nor wrong with my photographs. The shutter is pressed when my eyes smile through the lens.


I want to use this space to share and to record the memories of my journeys in a photographic way.


I'm Pinnie, Melbourne based soul.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *